Since its establishment in 1979, the Yamaguchi Prefectural Art Museum has been collecting, preserving, exhibiting and researching mainly on works by artists who have connections to Yamaguchi prefecture.
The collection includes Japanese paintings by Toyo Sesshu, Unkoku school, Kansai Mori and Hogai Kano; oil paintings by Yasuo Kazuki, Shohei Matsuda and Wasaku Kobayashi; sculptures by Shigeru Ueki and Kiichi Sumikawa; photographs by Katsuji Fukuda, Tadahiko Hayashi and other representative photographers from postwar Japan.
The collection in the Permanent Exhibition Galleries, exhibits different works on the walls every month or two depending on the theme.
In the gallery where Japanese paintings are displayed, the museum has prepared a special space with tatami flooring. Once you take off your shoes and sit here, it will feel as if you’re enjoying the works inside a Japanese-style house.
Since its opening, the museum has held large-scale special exhibitions several times a year to introduce the diversity of art and culture in the world. For a detailed exhibition schedule, please visit the Yamaguchi Prefectural Art Museum’s website or contact us.
Gaze out at the outdoor sculptures in the courtyard from the museum’s café, and enjoy the vibrant nature that changes from season to season. The café, as well as the museum shop, are open to the public including those without a ticket so please feel free to drop-in during open hours.
9:00 - 17:00 (Last admission at 16:30)
• Mondays (except we are open on public holidays on Monday)
• Year-end and new year’s holidays; and temporary closing days due to exhibition change, maintenance and such.
• Collection Exhibitions –
• Special exhibitions –
Adults: 300 (240) yen;
Students: 200 (160) yen
Persons 70 and older, or 18 and under: Free
∗ ( ) indicate fees for those in groups of 20 or more.
Admission varies by each exhibition.
• Take JR Yamaguchi Line from JR Shin-Yamaguchi Sta. Get off the train at Yamaguchi Sta. and walk for about 15 minutes.
• About 30 minutes by Bocho Bus bound for Yamaguchi. (Get off the bus at Bijutsukan-mae, Shiyakusho-mae, or Kencho-mae.)
• About 40 minutes by JR Bus bound for Yamaguchi. (Get off the bus at Kencho-mae..)
• About 30 minutes by Bocho Bus bound for Yamaguchi. (Get off the bus at Komeyacho.)
• About 35 minutes by JR Bus bound for Yamaguchi. (Get off the bus at Komeyacho or Bijutsukan-mae.)
• About 3 hours by Bocho Bus bound for Yamaguchi. (Get off the bus at Komeyacho.)
∗ The parking lot at the prefectural office is open only on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays.
∗ If you are to visit the museum by group in a coach bus, please make prior reservation at Yamaguchi City Tourism Interaction Section at phone number: +81-83-934-2810.
• Wheelchairs for rent (no charge)
• Strollers for rent (no charge)
• Nursing room (Bed in private room. No equipment for serving hot water.)
• You can stroll around the museum with your guide dog.
• We have no elevator. We also have no stairway and you can move around via ramps.
3-1, Kameyama-cho, Yamaguchi-shi,
Yamaguchi 753-0089, Japan (Google Map)